Welcome to John Blow Primary School!
Welcome to John Blow Primary School’s website. We hope you enjoy looking around our site and getting to know our school.
Children are at the centre of everything we do with positive relationships forming the foundations for learning. We strive to ensure that all individuals fulfil their potential by providing a wide range of engaging and purposeful learning opportunities.
In order to ignite the spark for learning, we provide a rich curriculum with experiences that inspire and motivate. Our recent curriculum review has ensured we not only cover the requirements of the national curriculum, but after consultation with the whole school community, the children develop personally to help them grow into responsible citizens and have as many experiences as possible during their time with us.
We have high expectations of both learning and progress and ensure all children are given the opportunity to reach their full potential. All children, regardless of their ability, are able to access all areas of the curriculum and any extracurricular activities held.
The staff have created a supportive, friendly and nurturing environment which enables all children to feel safe and know they are listened to. All staff understand the importance of safeguarding.
We want to ensure all our children believe in themselves and their abilities, aspire to be the best they can be, want to learn so they can go on to achieve their dreams and goals.
If you have any questions or queries or would like further information please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Mr Ben Carver
The first school in Collingham was the Baptist School founded in 1718. The children were taught to read and write, and were instructed in the principles of Christian religion.
In 1865 a new school was built on Baptist Lane: although described as "mixed", it housed only girls. A Girls' School was also built in South Collingham in 1839. Although named "Collingham Girls' School", it was mixed and by the 1880s was so full that the boys were moved to the Wesleyan School room behind the Methodist church. In 1962 the girls' and boys' schools were closed and children transferred to the new "John Blow Primary School" in January 1963.
The school is named after an accomplished organist, composer and Master of the King's Music, who was born in the former Manor House in North Collingham in 1648.
The present school occupies an attractive site approximately 4 miles from Newark and serves the communities of Collingham, Brough, Danethorpe and Danethorpe Hill.
It was built to the CLASP system, consisting of six classrooms, a large hall, dining area, kitchen accommodation and staff room. A further classroom was added in 1976 and another in 1989. A school office was added in 1991.
Several features have since been developed, notably the provision of a central library area, the conversion of changing and shower rooms into a store and small group room and an outdoor covered area.
The school hall is used for dining, PE, assemblies, musical activities and concerts. Outside there are extensive playing fields, two hard play areas and a multi-use games area (MUGA).
There are currently places for 210 children in the school.